July 7, 2015

Top Ten Books on my Summer 2015 TBR List

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish

A couple of weeks ago the topic was books that are on our Summer 2015 TBR (to be read) lists. Due to my blogging hiatus, I wasn't able to participate on the date this topic was originally scheduled, but I still wanted to have the opportunity to share my picks, so here's a rather belated list (which I may have already started, as summer itself started over 2 weeks ago now).


Adult Picks
The Goblin Emperor by Katherine Addison I bought this shortly after its publication, having read one rave review after another, and it's currently on the 2015 Hugo Awards shortlist for best novel. Plus, Sarah Monette (Addison's a pseudonym) actually works at the library I'm interning for this summer.
My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry by Fredrik Backman — I first learned about this book in an issue of BookList and promptly searched for more reviews and checked whether my library had a copy. (It does.) This magical realism tale sounds so charming and unique.
The Royal We by Heather Cocks & Jessica Morgan This fluffy romance is supposedly based on/inspired by Prince William and Kate Middleton's real-life romance. I want to enjoy at least a little fluff this summer, and it can help me get in the wedding planning mood.
The Grace of Kings by Ken Liu As with The Goblin Emperor, this is another fantasy I've heard nothing but praise for. I have a soft spot for sweeping, epic fantasy series, and this sounds like a promising start to a new one.
The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin Because Modern Mrs. Darcy told me to read this. It's her recommendation for those who identify as ISTJ according to the Myers-Briggs personality test. Color me intrigued!


Young Adult Picks
The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh I love a solid fairy-tale/fable retelling almost as much as I love stories that focus on female agency. Ahdieh's debut sounds like it should have both in spades.
The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen I didn't love Just Listen, but I do adore Dessen on Twitter and hope this one works out better for me. Plus, I've heard this is generally considered to be one of her best works.
These Shallow Graves by Jennifer Donnelly I love historical fiction and really don't see/read enough of it for YA audiences. And this ARC is on loan from my internship library, so it needs to be read soon.
Devoted by Jennifer Mathieu — I enjoyed Mathieu's debut but didn't love it necessarily. At first I was planning on passing this one by, but the combination of such a timely topic and strong praise have made me curious.
Bone Gap by Laura Ruby — I was so excited to receive a review copy at ALA Midwinter, certain that I'd love this. For some reason or another, however, reading this just hasn't happened yet, but it will soon!

What books do you hope to read this summer?
author image

Amanda

Amanda loves few things better than sitting down with a cup of tea and a book. She frequently stays up far too late, telling herself she just needs to finish one more page. When she's not wrapped up in the stories of others, Amanda works as a children's librarian in a public library.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, this is an impressively diverse set of books genre-wise, so good for you! I think I saw on Goodreads that you've already started The Royal We and I hope you have been enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm getting bored of reading the same sorts of books, honestly, so hopefully this'll help me be a more productive reader and reviewer. The Royal We was definitely cute and fluffy! A good escapist book.

      Delete
  2. I really enjoyed The Wrath and the Dawn, The Truth About Forever, and The Storied Life. I do want to read The Goblin King, though, and These Shallow Graves is also on my list for this summer if I can get to it. Great list, Amanda--can't wait to see what you make of these titles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, good. I hadn't really heard anything about The Storied Life prior to that rec, so I'm glad to know you enjoyed it. Thanks, Keertana!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I strive to make my blog the very best it can possibly be and I appreciate each and every comment on here.